One of Invisalign’s biggest advantages is having the ability to take the aligners out to eat and drink – but that doesn’t mean they don’t get dirty. Keeping your aligners clean is a vital part of your treatment, and it’s the only way to keep them invisible, odorless, and free from germs. Also, Invisalign treatment works only when you wear them, so make sure and follow your doctor’s instructions on how long you must wear your aligners each day. Here are a few tips that can help you maximize the benefit of your Invisalign aligners and be on your way to a new, beautiful smile:
- Aligners are to be worn full time with the exception of cleaning teeth and eating.
- Wear Aligners 22 hours every day; change them according to your doctors instructions
- When aligners are not in the mouth they are not working, so treatment is not progressing
- You may drink with your aligners in, but stay away from hot and colored liquids to prevent warping and staining.
- Remember to brush after drinking any sugary or citrus type beverages to prevent decay.
- Possible relapse — If periods of time pass and aligners are not in the mouth, small increments of “relapse” can occur which will greatly affect treatment responses and time.
- Occasionally, an aligner may have a sharp edge, it may be shaven down with an emery board