Make Your Kids Eat All (or most) Of Their Halloween Candy At One Time

At the end of Halloween night when your kids come home with pillowcases full of candy, let them eat as much of it as they want. Their teeth will thank you, and your kids will be pleasantly surprised.

If you are like millions of Americans, your home is overflowing with Halloween candy until well after Christmas. Unless you and your kids are going to brush your teeth after every piece of candy, don’t spread it out this year. Each piece of candy is an opportunity for acid to eat away at the enamel of your teeth.

Candy, like all food, leaves residue on your teeth. Candy in particular leaves behind a lot of sugar and starch. Bacteria feeds on it, creating plaque. Overtime, the acid that builds up as a result of plaque eats away at the hard outer surface of your teeth. For this reason, it’s best to just go for it. Eat all the candy you want at once, then get it out of the house. Your doctor isn’t going to like this, but just tell him your dentist said it was okay.

Eating one piece of chocolate isn’t any better than eating an entire a whole bag, if you do it in a short period of time. What does make a difference is the type of candy. Chocolate is the least damaging sweet for your teeth. Chocolate melts quickly, but hard candies can stick to your teeth.

Previous Post
Mouthguard Matters: Protecting the Smiles of Student Athletes
Next Post
Cosmetic Dentistry Can Benefit Your Health
Menu